30 Lessons Learned Since Starting Beck&Call Hospitality
It’s no secret that starting a business is hard work. From the hours spent organizing events, meetings, touring properties, and planning out new ways to raise capital. However, through it all, the most valuable lessons have come from making mistakes and learning from them. Here are a few of the many lessons learned on the journey to opening a bed and breakfast.
Let's Be Honest...
1. Your friends are not your customer.
2. It’s okay to ask for help.
3. Charge what you’re worth.
4. Great things take time.
5. Everything you hear and see is not the truth.
6. Building a standardized process can help streamline common procedures.
7. Think of it as a redirection instead of a rejection.
8. Always remember your “Why.”
9. Early stage business funding is essential.
10. Take time to analyze and reevaluate your systems and practices.
11. Build your ecosystem.
12. Use your resources to build connections. (Phone, Social Media, Networking Groups, Events, etc.)
13. Save your great ideas for the right opportunity.
14. Everyone won’t understand the goal.
15. Be transparent. Share just enough information.
16. Listen to advice, but only take what you need on your journey.
17. Take care of yourself first.
18. Pray for patience.
19. Show appreciation to your support system.
20. Bloom where you’re at.
21. Your vision is never too small.
22. It’s okay to take a break. Your business will still be there when you return.
23. Continue to do the things that make you happy.
24. Do something that you’re afraid of at least once. For me, it was public speaking.
25. Don’t be easily influenced.
26. Be more proactive. More doing, less talking.
27. Take advantage of every great opportunity.
28. Trust your gut.
29. Time is money.
30. Invest in yourself.